The Town Clock

Headpiece made for Natassha N for the Mz Gay Halifax Pageant.

Town Clock of Halifax located on Citadel Hill

Headpiece made on my kitchen counter 
(with artificial turf lined shrug on the body form in the left background)

And mounted on Natassha's head

The entire set was made for under $20, including paint, glue sticks and materials.
The clock is constructed out of salvaged foamcore (a seating chart for a charity event held by the Nova Scotia Mental Foundation), wooden dowels from the dollar store, a ping pong ball, a cat toy painted white and an old plastic bowl covered in water activated packing tape and given a faux copper finish.
The shrug is made froma hula hoop, artificial turf, glue stick and a couple toy cars from Value Village.
Total amount of materials: $18.50.  Total amount of  time building the set: Approximately 24 hours (including drying time).

Dragon Trophy Update #7 (Almost there....)

First shots of the nearly complete dragon!!! He's not entirely complete, as I still have to do his eyes, seal him, and may be going at him with an airbrush for a bit to get the shading I want.

I'm not entirely sure I'm loving the green version, he looks a little first generation GODZILLA for me.But green is a good one to start with.
It really was my first  run at a prop like this, so taking that into consideration, I think he turned out great. I'm already planing the build of the next one.
The one thing I have to say is that I learned a lot through making this one, mostly through mistakes and things that didn't think about for the process.
For example:
  • Teeth: They will be made of something better than salt dough and will be installed LOOONG before I paint the mouth and  tongue. The teeth got in the way, though only the lower ones were installed, and made maneuvering the brushes almost impossible.
  • Jaw: I should have made this separate and attached it later. As I applied more mache and material, the jaw line started to blend a little too much with the neck and he came out looking a bit stocikier than planned.
  • Skin Texture: Was a bit rougher than I had hoped it would one I'll move towards a smoother appearance and paint on a texture rather than try to make my own. This skin texture however would excel in another piece, something like a Stone/Dirt Monster or a Warty look.
Final pics tomorrow or the next day when the paint has dried and I've finished him off!